Monday 18 October 2010

How to tint your own eyelashes

Other than watching X Factor, I didn’t have anything else planned for Saturday night so I decided to pamper myself. This included painting my nails, fake tanning, putting a deep conditioning treatment on my hair, plucking and tinting my eyebrows and tinting my eyelashes.

In the past, I’ve seen quite a few posts on eyelash tinting and more often than not how difficult it is to tint your own. So, I’ve decided to write my own post which I hope will be useful to anyone who has purchased a DIY eyelash tinting kit or has struggled to tint their own eyelashes. If you’d like to tint your eyelashes, you can buy kits from chemists such as Boots and Superdrug or I usually buy my products from Sallys.

I hope I'm not the only person that has done this but when I first starting seeing my boyfriend, I used to leave a little bit of my eye make-up on so it looked like I was fresh faced but haha in reality I was secretly still wearing my slap! I've found that eyelash tinting removes the need to do this although I've been with my boyfriend for over 3 years now so in all honesty, the need to look done up 100% of the time wore off a long time ago! But hopefully you know what I mean.

I used to be a Beauty Therapist which has definitely made it a lot easier for me to tint my own eyelashes but I think after a bit of practise, anyone can do them. I prefer to use blue/black tint because the colour is more intense than black. Don’t worry though, you won’t end up with blue eyelashes!

Remember to do a patch test behind your ear or in the crease of your elbow 24 hours ahead of your planned tinting to check you don’t have an allergy.

Here are the tools you need:


- Cotton wool pads
- Scissors
- Vaseline/lip balm
- Tint
- Peroxide
- Mixing dish
- Orange wood stick
- Timer

1. Dampen a cotton wool pad and separate in half. Cut this in half with the scissors and then cut out a half moon shape. This will fit under your lower eyelashes.

2. Apply a thin layer of Vaseline, or lip balm works too, to one side of both the half moon shapes and also to your upper eyelid as close to the lash line as possible.

3. Squeeze 1cm of tint into your mixing dish and add 3 drops of peroxide. Mix thoroughly with the orange wood stick until the tint and peroxide come together.

4. Get your timer ready by setting 10 minutes but don’t start it yet.

5. Put one of the half moon cotton wool pads under your lower lash line and close your eye.

6. Apply the tint to your eyelashes using the orange wood stick. I find it easier to add a big blob to the ends of the lashes to make sure they’re stuck down to the cotton wool. Then carefully (and usually with a bit of a squint from the other eye), get closer and closer to the roots until all of your eyelashes are covered.

7. Apply a dry cotton wool pad to your eye.

8. Start the timer and lie down with your head slightly propped up. Try not to talk or laugh as the cotton wool can slip and tint may go in your eye. If this does happen and it stings, then bathe your eye in water. Don’t worry though, as the dye is normally vegetable based, there is no risk of damage to your eye. If you feel brave enough, check your tint half way through as you may need to top it up.

9. When the timer goes and you’ve finished cooking, go into the bathroom.

10. Gently press down on the dry cotton wool pad and sweep both cotton pads away from your eye.

11. Keep your eye closed and gently wash the tint off using a damp cotton wool pad.

12. When you feel all the tint has been washed off, gently open your eye and rinse again. Then repeat the process on the other eye.

Hopefully you now have two matching, beautifully tinted eyes! Please don’t take this procedure as set in stone. This is just the way I tint my eyelashes so I can’t take any responsibility for any mishaps. The tint will stain material such as towels and your skin so you do need to be careful.

I've been a bit of a twit and taken a before photo but I haven't taken an after photo. I'm at work with mascara on so it'd be a bit pointless to take one now but I will take a photo when I've taken my make-up off tonight and post both the photos tomorrow.

I hope this has been useful. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments and I will respond to you :)

Naomi
xx

Edit - Here are the before and after photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.